CALL: 0161 873 8333
Request a free brochure
Request a free design visit
Read by Category:
These days there are fewer rules around interior design. We can take our inspiration from any era in the last 300 years and add a modern twist. From Regency to Art Deco; from 60s chic to sleek; done well, such themes can look exceptionally stylish.
One style that never falls out of favour is Minimalism. A pared back look with hero pieces, sleek lines, and clean spaces. Minimalism is easy to achieve in most rooms – the key is to keep things looking cosy. Scandinavian design has influenced our choice of interiors in many ways. The movement favours clever storage solutions to keep clutter to a minimum. Soft furnishings are plump and comfortable without hint of chintz. Throws and cushions warm up minimalist spaces and soft, ambient lighting can make your room look inviting.
Another reason to choose a minimalist environment is that living amongst clutter can cause us to feel more stressful. High levels of the stress hormone cortisol is never a good idea so if paring things down and encouraging tidy spaces is good for us, we’re all for it!
If you love the look but are a little unsure about how to get started, our top five tips will help you to achieve a minimalist style in your favourite room, whether that’s your lounge, kitchen or bedroom.
1. Declutter. Organise your room. Do you need a cabinet full of knick-knacks? Are you trying to cram too many styles and shapes into one space? Remember the adage; a place for everything and everything in its place. Which brings us to the next point…
2. Storage. Forget run-of-the mill cupboards and chests of drawers. These days furniture is personal. How do you live in your space? What is your personal taste in design? Find a bespoke solution that helps you to achieve a sleek, harmonious living space where everything is stored neatly away inside furniture that flows seamlessly with your home and your lifestyle.
3. Think Quality over Quantity. It’s worth investing in key pieces such as a statement bed, armchair or sofa and building your room around it. Don’t let your soft furnishings or décor fight for your attention. Keep it simple and stick to one style.
Keep up to date with the latest trends and be the first to recieve our inspirational tips.
We respect your privacy and will never share your email address
Beautiful prints from Desenio
4. Décor. The best way to achieve a clean, minimalist style is with a neutral palette. Make sure your tones are warm but light, soft and unobtrusive. Avoid loud patterns on every wall, instead think about a feature wall or incorporate personal touches such as a single, stand-out piece of art. Line art and painterly prints are hugely popular this summer.
5. Nurture nature. Think about how daylight flows into your home. Do you have a fabulous window that lets light flood in? Could it work without drapes or blinds? Letting in more light and letting nature become a feature of your room could give the illusion of more space and make your room look bigger.
An aspirational feature for any home, a bespoke dressing room offers a level of luxury above and beyond the norm. Custom...
Glass staircases are an ever-popular choice amongst our clients. The versatility of glass means that it goes with almost...
Turning An Awkward Space Into A Functional Retreat Lofts are often associated with being a room with an abundance of awk...
Neville Johnson is rated 9.1/10 on Trust Pilot based on 1059 reviews
Please complete your details below. Alternatively call us on 0161 873 8333.
Enter your details in the form below
Please select your title.
I don't have a mobile phone
Design visits are an opportunity for our designers to listen to your ideas, likes and dislikes
and advise on the best way to unlock your home's potential. Whether your space is large, small
or a little bit awkward, a design visit helps visualise the best solution that is unique to you
and your home.
From the initial meeting with the senior designer to discuss our needs, to the surveyor and then the installer, we were extremely delighted with the end result. The installation process went without any problems. All the staff were very professional and we would recommend Neville Johnson without hesitation.
Rosalind Tunnicliffe, Solihull
From our initial enquiry to the completion of our staircase, we have found all the members of the team at Neville Johnson to be very helpful, courteous and professional in all our dealings. The staircase has transformed our living space. We have been very impressed with this company from start to finish and would not hesitate to recommend them.
Pauline Treston, Northumberland
From the initial contact with the company to the completion and installation everything was utterly professional; we have no hesitation in recommending the company to anybody. We are so pleased, that Neville Johnson is returning to install a new staircase!
Mr and Mrs Thorpe, Radcliffe
A real easy process, I would really recommend Neville Johnson to anyone. From the first phone call through to a very skilled fitter (who had to go above and beyond with our old house not having one straight line in it) it was all so easy. We couldn’t be happier that we chose to use Neville Johnson.
Richard Smith, Surrey
From contacting the company to the point where the cupboards were fitted I was impressed by the whole process. The initial salesperson that visited was knowledgeable and helpful. I would certainly use Neville Johnson again and highly recommend this company.
Mrs S. D, Lincolnshire
The room is transformed and has been hugely admired by family and friends. I was pleasantly surprised by the attentive and courteous client care – everything went according to plan and nothing seemed too much trouble. They were in regular contact before and after the installation. I would highly recommend Neville Johnson to anyone wanting to transform a room.
Cherry Murdoch, London
From the outset of our contract with Neville Johnson, we were supported with design choices, given expert advice and all deadlines were met. Everyone was courteous, knowledgeable and friendly. The craftsmanship is superb; our staircase is now an outstanding feature of our open plan lounge.
Judith Scorer, Stockport
I cannot recommend this company enough. From first contact we received very high quality service. We were informed as to everything that was going on, which was backed up by the necessary paperwork, plans and phone calls. The fitter was competent and the work he did we can’t fault.
Mrs K Holroyd, Wrexham
From the moment the brochure was delivered, I was optimistic that we were buying quality. I wasn’t disappointed. All contact made was courteous, polite and clear, with phone calls confirmed by email. In short, we’re really thrilled with our library and it was effortless from start to finish.
Alison Cole, Swinton
Our new staircase looks fantastic. We’ve had lots of compliments and it has transformed our hallway. The whole experience was great from beginning to end, from discussing our requirements to the finished article.
Mr & Mrs Begbie, Hampshire